Professor Paul Coulthard
BDS, MFGDP, MDS, FDSRCS, FDSRCS(OS), PhD
Clinical Director – Research & Development
- Since 2004, I have been a Professor of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the University of Manchester.
- Since 2001, I have been a Consultant in Oral Surgery at the Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
- I am a Dean of the Dental School at the University of Manchester.
- In 2014, The School of Dentistry (as part of the Unit of Assessment 3 Allied Health Professions, Dentistry, Nursing and Pharmacy) was judged in the last Research Exercise Framework announced to be #1 of the 94 U.K. submissions, in terms of overall research performance including outputs, environment and impact.
- I chaired the ‘Oral Surgery and Oral Medicine’ Commissioning Guide Working Group for NHS England responsible for developing a needs led outcome focussed Care Pathway and producing a single operating Commissioning Framework to deliver improvements in quality and clinical outcomes.
- I also chaired the Guide for ‘Commissioning Dental Specialties – Supporting Specialties’ and ‘Commissioning Dental Services: Service Standards for Conscious Sedation in a Primary Care Setting’.
- I was one of the authors of ‘Conscious Sedation in Dentistry – Dental Clinical Guidance, Third Edition’ for the Scottish Dental Clinical Effectiveness Programme
- I am actively involved in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and learning.
- The third edition of my textbook ‘Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Radiology, Pathology and Oral Medicine (Master Dentistry Volume 1)’ was published in May 2013.
- I have also co-authored chapters for six textbooks and have over 180 scientific publications.
- I have help numerous examinerships. I currently examines at Glasgow University, Kuwait University, and for the Royal College of Surgeons ISFE in Oral Surgery.
- 2001 – Present – Consultant Oral Surgeon – Oral Surgery