Why choose dentures?
More often than not, people opt to have dentures because they’ve been advised they are not a good candidate for dental implants. Without getting a second opinion from a dental implant specialist, such as EvoDental, they usually just go ahead with the dentures, without realising there is a much better option out there for them.
But dentures come with a lot of downsides, including:
- there is no way of knowing what the dentures will look like until they have been fitted
- they can become loose and be ill fitting
- gums can be sore and uncomfortable
- bone can be lost when teeth are missing and having dentures doesn’t stimulate bone growth, causing muscle loss around the mouth
- the entire roof of the mouth is covered with a palette, which makes it difficult to taste food and drink, as well as causing problems with speech
- denture wearers can see a reduction in quality of life
- use of adhesive, that needs to be cleaned off every night
- can affect the types of foods that can be eaten – certain foods also get stuck underneath dentures, making gums uncomfortable and sore
- they can wear away, so will need to be replaced over the years